Below are Jenny’s answers to some of the questions she is frequently asked. If your query is not covered here, please use the contact page to get in touch with your own question.

Do you travel to the Vale of Glamorgan?

Yes, I travel all over South Wales, which includes Chepstow, Newport, Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan and the South Wales valleys area. If you live within approximately an hour of Brecon, then I will travel to you.

Do you travel to mid-Wales?

Yes, I travel to many towns in mid-Wales, as long as they are approx an hour from Brecon – this includes Builth Wells, Rhayader and Llandrindod Wells.

Do I have to pay extra to cover your travel costs?

No. I charge a set fee for either an hour’s entertainment or for attending the whole of a two-hour birthday party. At schools and festivals which require an entertainer for a day, I charge a daily rate.

How much do you charge?

Please use the contact form to get in touch. Alternatively, you can call me on 01874 622817.

Do you require a deposit?

No. Over the years, I have found that these sometimes get lost in the post!

How do I pay you?

For private functions, I would expect to be paid on the day, either by cash or by a cheque (made payable to “Jane Rainger”). For schools, festivals and local authorities I can send an invoice, which I would expect to be paid within 30 days, either by cheque or by BACS bank transfer.

Do you have a maximum number of children you entertain?

No. At private birthday parties, I would not recommend more than 30 children but it isn’t always easy to keep the numbers down! However, the larger the number of children, the less intimate the party. At shows for schools, I have performed for 250-plus children at a time.

Do you do “joint” birthday parties?

Yes. It is easier if the two (or three) birthday children are the same age, or fairly close in age. Remember, however, that for a private birthday party, 50 children is a lot to cater for, provide party bags and to organise for games.

What ages do you entertain?

My private birthday parties suit children aged between three and seven years. I am just starting a new party theme, “Strictly Kids Dancing” for girls aged between nine and 10 who enjoy the glitz and glamour of ballroom dancing. For schools, weddings, christenings and Christmas parties, I entertain children up to the age of 12.

Do I have to hire a hall?

No. Some children prefer to stay at home for the party. In this case, your numbers are limited only by the size of the room you are going to use for the entertainment. Please, don’t simply hope that you will be able to do the party in the garden – there is no guaranteeing the weather! However, I have come across some inspired and imaginative “last-minute” plans, as I have entertained in gazebos, under canopies and even in someone’s double garage!

How long do you come to the party for?

Typically, I do either an hour of entertainment or I am there for the whole of the two-hour party. I don’t recommend much longer than this.

What do you do for an hour?

For children aged between four and seven, I would do a mix of entertainment, usually including my sidekick Cheeky Monkey, magic and a puppet show. If you think your child would prefer more magic or would like balloon-modelling or face-painting, then I can adjust the party to suit.

What can you offer for three-year-olds?

As children of that age often find it harder to sit and watch, I usually offer 30-40 minutes of “sit down” entertaiment, to include Cheeky Monkey and some simple magic. The other 20-30 minutes could then be used for balloon-modelling, face-painting or games. I am happy to discuss alternatives and have a lot of experience of working with this age group. In a nursery setting, children are more likely to sit still and I regularly entertain at nurseries in Cardiff and Newport at Christmas and in July.

Would you come and do a party for my two-year-old?

At that age, children are really too young for what I do. I would suggest a ball pond, soft play or a music lady.

What would you do if you came to the whole party?

I usually do the same entertainment but put games in as well. These are usually traditional party games like musical bumps, musical statues and pass the parcel. I bring the parcel and the small prizes and sweets. After an hour, I usually stop so the children can eat. Once I have prepared for the second half of the party, I will help at the table and am happy to organise singing “Happy Birthday”.

My child loves face-painting. Would you do that at the party?

Yes. However, please remember that it will take an hour to paint 20 faces (perhaps longer) and while I am painting faces, I cannot be organising the children to play games.

What do you give the children?

If you would like me to make balloon-models for each child, then I can do that at the party (though again, while I am doing that I cannot organise games). Alternatively, I can make balloons in advance for an extra charge.

I just want a balloon for my child to make him/her feel special. Can you do that?

Yes. I could make that part of the entertainment and ask your child to help me make a special balloon. There would be no extra cost for that.

Do you dress up?

I usually wear dotty clothes. Please take a look at my photo gallery.

My child is afraid of clowns? Do you wear clown make-up?

No. I have been entertaining children for more than 25 years and have found that clown make-up can be very scary. I wear dotty clothes but no red nose and no clown make-up.

Do you speak Welsh?

I am learning Welsh and am happy to work bilingually. I usually use some common Welsh words in my show. In 2010, I performed Punch and Judy in Welsh and bilingually at the Eistddfod in Ebbw Vale.

Are you CRB-checked?

Yes. I have a regular CRB check and am happy to provide a copy if you wish to see it.

Do you have Public Liability Insurance (PLI)?

Yes. I am a member of the British actors’ union Equity and as such, hold Public Liability Insurance of up to £10 million.

How long have you been a children’s entertainer?

More than 25 years.